Neuromodulators are wrinkle-relaxing injections of botulinum toxin – commercially known as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin. They are used to soften frown lines, forehead lines, and crow’s feet. The treatment is mostly painless. Results last 3-4 months.
Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, and Radiesse are injectable fillers that are used to revolumize areas around the mouth (nasolabial folds and marionette lines), lips, cheeks, under eye tear troughs, and temples. Finer products such as Defyne, Silk, and Belotero Balance are used to treat fine lines around the lips and mouth. Radiesse is also used for hand rejuvenation. Dr. Zand’s approach is very natural and conservative, and tailored to your specific needs.
Before Your Appointment:
- Please schedule your appointment 2-3 weeks before any important events.
- Purchase Boiron Arnica gel to use 3-4 times per day after treatment to help dissolve any bruises. If you tend to bleed or bruise easily, consider taking Arnica tablets 1-2 days prior to your treatment. Both products can be found at Whole Foods.
- To help prevent bruising, eat fresh pineapple 2-3 times/day for 1-2 days prior to treatment.
- To reduce bruising, avoid the following blood thinners for 7-10 days prior to treatment: aspirin, Advil (ibuprofen), Motrin, Aleve (naprosyn), Excedrin, Vitamin E, and fish oil.
- Avoid fresh garlic, ginkgo biloba, and alcohol (especially red wine) for 2 days prior to treatment as these thin the blood as well.
- You may resume blood thinners 2 days after the procedure.
- If your doctor recommends you take daily aspirin or a prescription blood thinner, please continue to do so and let us know.
- Tylenol may be taken for pain at any time, as it does not cause bleeding.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, facials, saunas, and steam rooms for 1-2 days after treatment to prevent bruising and maximize its effectiveness.
- While it’s important to take preventative measures to minimize bruising, there is always a chance bruising can occur with any cosmetic procedure. Use your Arnica gel and tablets 3-4 times per day to help resolve bruising.
- Expect to feel (but not see) lumps under your skin surface after filler. These can feel weird at first, but begin to soften and feel normal after two weeks.
- Lips swell dramatically after treatment, while other areas of the face typically do not. If your lips were treated, we recommend that you ice this area for 5-10 min 2-3 times immediately after your treatment, as ice prevents swelling (not bruising). Ice is optional for all other treated areas.
- For the first two nights after filler, try not to sleep on the areas that have been treated. If you are a belly-sleeper, place a few hair clips near your temples before bed so that if you happen to roll on your belly, the clips will encourage you to naturally roll back.