What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that uses tiny sterile needles to create ‘micro-injuries’ to the skin to help create a glowing, more youthful skin appearance. Also known as collagen induction therapy, microneedling creates small channels in the skin with a pen-like device in order to encourage your skin to produce new collagen-rich tissue. Microneedling can help with:
- Acne Scars
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Reduced Skin Elasticity
- Large Pores
- Pigmentation issues
- Skin texture and tone
Is Microneedling right for me?
Microneedling is an extremely safe and minimally invasive procedure that requires little to no downtime. With its wide range of benefits, many of our patients are excellent candidates for micro-needling! We are here to walk you through a comprehensive consultation of your skin and create an individualized treatment plan for you with your goals in mind (anti-aging, acne, even skin tone, pigmentation, etc).
What is the downtime?
Microneedling requires little to no downtime. The total procedure is ~30 minutes and you should expect only skin redness and irritation for 1-2 days following the procedure.
How often do you recommend microneedling?
The best and most long-term results are achieved when micro-needling is done in a series of 3-4 treatments spaced one month apart. We often recommend alternating between chemical peels and microneedling treatments monthly for the most desirable results!
How do I prepare for my treatment?
- Avoid retinoids/Retin-A, exfoliants, or acids that may be drying or irritating to the skin 5 days before the procedure.
- No waxing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis to the area being treated for 5-7 days prior
- Do not shave the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there’s dense hair present in the treatment area, shave the day before you arrive for your appointment.
- Please arrive to the appointment with a thick layer of numbing applied (see below) and without any make-up on, bring an extra clean mask to use once the procedure is done
- Apply a thick layer of numbing cream (we can prescribe this for you) to the entire treatment area, on your face this includes under your eyelids, your nose, all the way to your hairline, and jawline, put this on 30 min before the treatment and we can wipe it off for you when you get to your appointment
- If you have a history of cold sores, please take prophylactic medicine (let us know and we can prescribe this for you) 2 days prior to and the day of the treatment
- Hydrate well- both topically and internally starting 72 hours before the procedure
- Avoid blood thinning agents for one week prior because bruising is a potential side effect of microneedling
What should I expect after my treatment?
- A sunburn-like sensation is normal. Your skin may feel tight, dry, or sensitive to touch. You may also notice some slight swelling, both are normal and should subside after 1 to 2 hours and will normally diminish within the same day or 24 hours. You may see slight redness or experience mild peeling after 24 hours but only in minimal areas or spots.
How should I care for my skin after the procedure?
Day of procedure:
- Only use lukewarm water for the first 24 hours to rinse skin
- Apply Skinpen ‘Lift’ as needed throughout the day
- Keep treated areas protected from the sun, we recommend limiting your sun exposure during the day and wearing a hat and non-chemical sunscreen (like EltaMD) if you are outside
- Avoid any makeup for 24 hours, mineral makeup is okay after 24 hours
- If needed, non-chemical sunscreen is okay (like EltaMD, tinted okay)
- Avoid any strenuous exercise, swimming, hot tubs, sauna, or hot showers for 48-72 hours
- Avoid any anti-inflammatory medications, if needed please use Tylenol
Day 1-5 after the procedure:
- After 24 hours, use a gentle cleanser to wash face (like Skinceuticals Gentle Cleanser)
- Then begin applying Skinpen ‘Skin Fuse Rescue’ as needed for the next 5 days
- Makeup is okay after 24 hours, however, if possible please wait 48-72 hours after the procedure to apply, non-chemical sunscreen is okay before this
- For at least 7 days after the procedure, do not use Alpha Hydroxy Acids (Glycolic acid), Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C, scrubs or any ‘active’ skincare products
- Mild peeling may start 3-5 days after the treatment. You’ll notice skin dryness and flaking which is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. DO NOT pick, scratch, or scrub at treated skin!
General microneedling post care:
- Avoid touching your face, always clean your hands before touching your skin
- Use a clean pillow case, makeup brushes and replace sponges
- Clean your cell phone as it will have contact with your treatment area
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the office at (415) 301-5000. We can’t wait to see you at our stunning waterfront office in Southern Marin.